The first unofficial law enforcement officer of the City of Bellaire was Leroy Coats who walked the route he guarded. This was the early years of 1900. In those days the marshals were appointed and their main job was to keep straying cattle out of Bellaire. Among other first marshals were W.C. Minson and a man named Callahan.
W.A. Erdman served as the first Fire Marshal and City Marshall and was followed by B.C. Ely in 1937. Ely served in this capacity until 1942. At the same time he was also Water Superintendent, Plumbing Inspector, Building Inspector, Electrical Inspector, Cattle Officer and Dog Catcher. Mrs. Ely was the first woman dispatcher as she took calls for Ely when he was out.
In 1945 Henry Rosnosky became marshal and he was followed by W.L. Fuller in 1946.
An ordinance was passed on July 28, 1947, abolishing the office of the City Marshal of the City of Bellaire and providing for and regulating a police department by the City of Bellaire. On August 4, 1947 J.H. Carrigan was appointed the Chief of Police.
Carrigan was followed by John Hlavaty on September 21, 1949.
In 1952 Jack O'Brian became chief and he served that post for the next eight years. During those eight years the force grew from six to twenty-four. It was during this time that the next chief, Joseph P. Court joined the force. O'Brian resigned in December of 1960 to go to Texarkana.
Court was appointed acting chief when O'Brian resigned and was appointed chief on July 1961. John H. Wheatley, then 21 years old joined the force.
Court resigned from the force about a year later to go into the carpet business William E. Hamilton was appointed chief June 4, 1962 and remained chief until July 30, 1973 when he resigned and Wheatley became chief. Wheatly retired in 1977 and Jerry H. Loftin became chief. Loftin retired in 1996 and Randall Mack became chief until he retired on April 24th, 2012.